Oh Julie



by Laura Ruggeri

STORY
Here he is again, Antonio (Associazione Progetti Culturali), asking for another calligram. This time for the corporate image of a theatrical play that he and his friend Bruno Guerra wrote: Il blues di Monsieur Malaussene.
"Laura, make it sexy!", Antonio said while he was walking away from my studio.
"Sexy?" I thought, "Why sexy? What is this play about?". I close the door and went to read the play with curiosity.
I chose the sexiest scene of the play for the calligram: Oh Julie.
"What do you think, Antonio, is this sexy enough?"
"Yes! I like it very much."
So the sexy calligram went on street posters, flyers, invitation cards... and then in my portfolio online.

I don't know why... or maybe I know exactly, but I was never comfortable with this calligram.
"Too sexy...!? What if my yoga teacher see it? What can he think of me?" Many thoughts came to me for so many times, rattling my head... and so many times I thought to remove it from the online portfolio. I even moved it around up and down and then finally put it at the bottom of the page. But for some reason I never removed it.
"Oh, forget it!" I said to myself some months ago, "If my yoga teacher and yoga friends see it... I am sure they will understand."
Magically, as soon as I surrendered to the sexy calligram I received an email from a real Julie asking if it was possible to purchase it!
I said "Yes! but please make a donation to this not-for-profit organization in India, Hand in Hand."
The real Julie was very happy to do it and she purchased the sexy calligram donating generously some money to my yoga teacher/founder of Hand in Hand.

Isn't surrender magical?

TECHNIQUE
The font used for the calligram is Garamond Simoncini.

APPLICATION
poster, libretto cover, flyer, invitation card

PDF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bembo's Zoo

Donna!